Sunday 25 March 2007

Lights, camera, action....




Don't you wish sometimes that your life could be like a movie? With all things resolved satisfactorily at the end of the final reel...

I love the movies, it's only recently that I've realised that not everyone else is as obsessive about them as I am... well apart from ... that is.

Have been a movie nut since childhood, probably cause my Dad was, though we only went to the movies once a year when I was little. My aunty used to send us all $1 for Christmas, and we'd go into the city and see a movie over the holidays, and have a choc top each, and then go to Coles Caf for a pie and peas, and if the family was really flush with cash and Dad was in a generous mood, maybe waffles and icecream and then walk up to see the Myer's windows. The movies were either the latest Disney film or the latest musical, so we saw Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Oliver, The Sound of Music, Cinderella, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Love Bug. We stopped going at Christmas when we all got the age that we wanted to see different films, though from that point on, I went to the movies a lot with friends.

At High School (1975-1976), we had activity day, were kids could pick some activity they wanted to do, i.e. basketball, horseriding etc. My gang of mates went to the movies, pretty much every week! I saw Sunshine, The Way We Were, The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, The Trial of Billy Jack, Rollerball.

And then one year the principal organised a film festival at the Valhalla, when it used to be in Richmond. Some films were mandatory, some were elective...I saw everything, 26 movies in 5 days... Twelve Angry Men, Sunday Too Far Away, Chinatown, Henry IV, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Fearless Vampire Killers (aka Pardon me, but your teeth are in my neck), Paint Your Wagon, A Night at the Opera, Sleeper... I was as sick as a dog by the end of it with flu, but it was bliss...

I don't get to go the movies as often these days, but am still pretty obsessive, either borrowing DVDs or buying them... I've never paid more than $15 for a DVD but am amassing quite a collection of them, all films I've seen and loved. Last week I bought: The Sure Thing, 10 Things I Hate About You, Willow, Big Trouble in Little China and Pride and Prejudice.

I wonder what my DVD collection would say about me (a lot of the movies listed in the link on my blog are in my collection)? Maybe I need to do a Movie Monday, like Mez's Music Monday... a Froufrou review of a couple of films that I love and why...

4 comments:

catsmum said...

If you ever find a copy of the Court Jester on DVD and they happen to have 2, please buy it for me. Eldest went to the extreme of getting one from the US but of course it didn't work in his player :[
Stephen, David, Nadie and I would be eternally grateful ... or at least for as long as it takes us to watch the movie.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle!

Miss Frou Frou said...

Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?

Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!

Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?

Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.

Hawkins: A flagon...?

Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.

Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.

Griselda: Right.

Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?

Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Griselda: Just remember that.

I want someone who will say this to me:

What manner of man is Giacomo? Ha ha! I shall tell you what manner of man is he. He lives for a sigh, he dies for a kiss, he lusts for the laugh, ha! He never walks when he can leap! He never flees when he can fight (thud) oop! He swoons at the beauty of a rose. And I offer myself to you, all of me. My heart. My lips. My legs. My calves. Do what you will - my love endures. Beat me. Kick me. (kiss, kiss) I am yours.

M said...

the cinema is my most favourite place in the whole world.

Miss Frou Frou said...

M - yes it's mine too... which I could go more often... though am going to see Hot Fuzz on Saturday with flickchick... just worried cause it's supposed to be gory... I'll spend most of my time hiding my face...