Sunday 18 March 2007

Meditative Musings #1... The Fool...

I have been part of a meditation group that has met for over 2 years that has used the Tarot as a starting point for guided meditations, which we then journal. The format has changed over time, originally we focused on the 22 Major Arcana cards, and then moved on to do the same with each of the 56 Minor Arcana cards, we are almost finished, with only 6 or so cards remaining.

I've been reading back through my journal, looking at some of the meditations and the themes underlying them. Some weeks my journal simply records my observations of the card, and other notes on how successfully I meditated. In other instances there are characters that I'd like to try to tie together into some form of narrative, as it seems they are the same people, being represented at different stages.

I'm going to try to flesh some of this out here over time, not in any linear fashion, just picking things at random...

The Fool... (Little Red Cap/Little Red Riding Hood - Inner Child Deck) - May 19th 2005

Traditional meaning of The Fool (0) Card - the card of infinite possibilities. A fool's journey, or a journey of new beginnings. Being prepared to take a leap of faith, but can also be a card of warning, stop daydreaming and fantasizing and watch your step.

My notes then ... wandering blithely through the forest... unaware of danger lurking or unconcerned... innocent...

Very attracted to the colours, the red butterfly, wanting the energy of the red but the calm of the green.

I want to walk through the arch and start the journey... don't care where I'm going as long as I don't stay here!

This reminds me of a physic about 6 years ago telling me that I was like Little Red Riding Hood, wandering through the forest, being distracted and diverting off the path instead of going straight down the road to where I'm going. And then I complain, because I meet the Big Bad Wolf, but if I'd stayed on the path where I belonged, I'd be safe.

I know where I'm going, the destination isn't important,
but the journey and what happens along the way is!


My meditation... I was standing, waiting, leaning against a tree, almost like I was part of the tree. I was looking into the distance, with cliffs on my right, the sea directly in front of me with a boat waiting for me. The water was calm, the day bright and clear, with white fluffy clouds overhead. The forest around the tree was so green, lush with vegetation. There was a message... be prepared, ready to go, ready to leave something behind.

Now... the meditation itself seems pretty meaningless now, but almost two years later, some of the things I thought about then are still circling around.

There was too much going on back then, too much of the boomerang relationship with Angus the Folly, dealing with the loss of my Dad, problems with family and work for me to be prepared to wholeheartedly embrace the idea of new beginnings.

But having let go of the past, I finally feel like I'm ready to move on, and have felt like this since mid last year, but never more so than now. I've never been into skipping ahead to the end of a book, it's the reading and the unfolding of the story that is most important to me.

The same is true in regards to my life in general, don't care were it's heading, as long as it's moving...

Is it just a coincidence that for the combined birthday party being planned for NPNP and I that I want to go as Red Riding Hood? Almost from the day we decided on the theme, that is what I wanted to be. Have already bought myself a Red Cape in preparation for it.

I know the original story had strong sexual overtones as did others (it wasn't a 'kiss' that finally woke up Sleeping Beauty) and I've been joking with friends about wanting to meet the Big Bad Wolf.

So.. Wolfy... wherever you are... hurry up and get your skates on... there's a not so little Red Cap stamping her foot delicately on the ground, waiting to be tempted and to tempt you...

1 comment:

Birdydownunder said...

I think The Fool.... was maybe the Little Red Man I spoke to you about.