Tuesday 6 March 2007

Live long and prosper...


Yes Jonathon, not all quilts are pretty....

Isn't this the most amazing quilt top!

This is a quilt swap that was started in February 2001, and many years, and tears and frustrations later, we have our completed quilt tops back.

It was originally meant to be a Sci-Fi Round Robin - a Round Robin is were you make a centre, and then progressively it is sent on and others add to it, and you receive other people's quilts and add to theirs.

Almost immediately it became apparent that we wanted to do Trekkie quilts - except poor 'birdwoman' who wanted a Red Dwarf quilt...

I wanted to make this for my brother, who has been a die-hard Trekkie from the beginning. And I converted a Spock pattern from a jack-o-lantern pattern I found on the web. And off it went in February 2001 and has been on a journey where no man has gone before ever since.

We had quilt tops that went missing in people's house moves, only to resurface years later - this was one of those! And I took a quilt top to a shop to buy fabric, and came home with the fabric and no quilt top... that one was re-done (almost) from scratch.

And well... life just got in the way for a lot of us... and I discovered I don't cope very well with enforced creativity... give me a priority on the creative front and I'll find everything under the sun to avoid it. ** But we persevered and the rewards speak for themselves.

It's particularly poignant and fitting that the final round - the row of purple and aqua flying geese 'saucers' with the squiggly text has Vulcan script that says 'Live Long and Prosper, Micheal' considering my brother is slowly recovering from having lost his kidney, appendix and gallbladder to cancer early in the New Year.

So - to the Sci-Fi RR girls - Sonia, Sheila, Judy and Angela - thank you.

And below is a picture of Sheila's finished quilt top - my bit is the final text around the edges - took forever! We managed to sneak quite a lot of 'Red Dwarf' into it, wouldn't you agree?


** Should have known - I started to knit a jumper for my then brother-in-law's 21st birthday, and finished all of it, except one sleeve...he's 45 this year and now very much an outlaw!

Does not bode well for the wedding quilt I started for my 'first true love' and his lady... they've just celebrated their 5th wedding anniversary... sigh...actually don't like it now...

No comments: