Thursday 5 April 2007

Musings from the sleep deprived...

Can't sleep, can't sleep, can't sleep.... argh... in bed at 11.15pm (early for me) and drifted off almost immediately and then woke up at 1.44am and here I am...

Only have 1 more day of work before a 10 day break, but it's going to be a crazy day... whose idea was it to organise fire warden/ fire extinguisher training on the afternoon of the day before Easter? Oh yes, that would be me!!!

Have started to read 2 separate books tonight... talk about a contradiction ... Georgette Heyer's Devils Club (historical romance) and Sherilyn Kenyon's Unleash the Night (shapeshifter romance)... can't be stuffed reading either of them...anyone else get 50 pages into a book before giving it the heaveho? My Mum is compulsive, once she starts a book, she has to finish it. And she often rereads things without realising it until almost the end, and then say's oops I've read this before...

A friend had recommended the Kenyon series to me, so when Dymocks had a couple for $4 at Christmas time I bought 2 of them. It doesn't bode well, that I'm skipping ahead to the sexy bits already... and even got bored with those.

... so sat and read the Property Guide and the Target Catalogue... know I'm really losing it when I'm looking seriously at the kid's toy section...

And have been reading through the archives of some recently discovered blogs as well as looking at houses online that I might like to buy when the great god of lotto decides to bless me... I like the listings with floorplans as I can imagine which room will be my library, and which my study etc.

Would really like a house with an attic with dormer windows or better still a turret... and a covered verandah all the way around the outside. Probably says a lot about me, that if I ever wanted an architect to design a house for me, I'd take copies of movies and say I want something like this... This being something like the house in Hayley Mill's version of Pollyanna or Practical Magic. Oh my... there is a website dedicated to Practical Magic that has lots of photo's of that house.

I loved the kitchen and conservatory and pantry... it's very weird how much I obsess over the look of kitchens, and love to browse through homewares stores and look at kitchen gadgets when I NEVER COOK....

Going to go and try and see if I can get a little bit of sleep... if not, I'll probably be up later doing some ironing...argh...

6 comments:

Rhian said...

Don't know if you ead any of the previous Sherilyn Kenyon stories but it DOES help to read them in order because there's so much ongoing relationship between characters. I love the books but i think i'd be totally lost and not "get" alot of the undercurrents if i ahdn't read them from the beginning.

Thanks for stopping by the blog. And for the record - i have a hellava time shutting my brain off at night and getting to sleep. It's annoying.

mehitabel said...

Last night I was having trouble sleeping... and then at 4:30 am we had an earthquake. Only a 3.4 but enough to keep me hyperventilating for an hour, since the biggest ones I've lived through have started with a series of small ones. I'm currently reading about 5 or 6 books but they are none of them sufficiently entertaining to repeat the titles of...

Miss Frou Frou said...

rhian - I'm sure the Kenyon book is fine, and actually after I posted I read a little more and will finish the book, I think the fact that I was tired meant I wasn't doing it justice, should have reread something familiar I think

mehitabel - an earthquake..wow... I'd freak too...

M said...

thank god I'm not the only one who does that house imagining thing! phew.

Suzy said...

Like you I get abiout 30 - 50 pages into a book then toss it into a dark corner where it never sees the light of day again. I also re-read books I love time and time again. I tend to fall back on them when the latest hohum has been filed in the dark corner. Lord of the Rings can certainly stand up to another ead (makes around 97 times) and Harry Potter is up to 16. Keep looking for another to make them... don't think the Target catalogue will quite make the grade........

Miss Frou Frou said...

Soozii - have never read Lord of the Rings... just doesn't appeal to me, but have the Harry books - got the first 4 books as a 40th birthday present. Though haven't read the last two, was thinking only recently of rereading the books and then reading the later ones...good idea