Monday 27 August 2007

I've got the music in me...

Oh, wow... hard to tell you all about Saturday, except that it was the most magical experience.

I still will not profess to being much of a singer, have no idea whether I stayed on pitch or not, but I was able to follow all of the instructions from our Choir Director, Vicki King, even when she mucked up at one stage and didn't give us our cue for a verse of a song... a minor glitch that only the choir and soloist noticed.

Was on the verge of tears several times, but managed to keep it together... though all of the soloists coming back onstage to reprise My Island Home at the end had me blinking rapidly and squeezing Miss La De Da's hand tightly.

I struggled a little with my back injury and sore feet from standing up, but the pain disappeared the minute we stood on stage, and started to sing... and then returned with a vengeance once I got off stage... hence this reasonably short blog post and still being a bit tardy in getting around to catch up with everyone else's blogs.

Am home for a couple of days, mostly sleeping and reading and doing some applique while watching TV, with the heatpack applied. OH - and attempting to dye my hair back to the chocolate brown colour that I was 12 months ago has left me an interesting shade of maroon/brown/red! I like it - it matched my t-shirt!

If you want to listen to some of the amazing soloists and musicians who played with us on Saturday, check these out - most have music you can listen to online.

Akasa - made up of Vicki King, Diana Clark, Heidi Bradburn, Andrea Watson - sang Walking Song and Vicki sang lead on Walk with Me with the choir... that's one of my blubber songs!
Kavisha Mazzella - I am such a fan of this woman and her music now... go down to the bottom of the page and listen to a track from her album... hope to see her at Darebin Music Feast
Diana Clark - sang Breathe into Time, and also sang two songs with the choir.
Doug de Vries - brilliant guitarist... played Elegy for Rita
Tali White - wrote a wonderful song called "Wave Building" especially for the choir, as he said, think mix between rock opera and bollywood and you'd have a bit of a feel for it... he is a bit of a whirling dervish... Tali is involved with The Guild League and The Lucksmiths
Valanga Khoza - sang Thula Mama with the choir - another emotional song... gorgeous, gorgeous voice
Paulo Almeida from the Dili Allstars - sang with the choir on O Hele Le
Lou Bennett - oh, wow... she was amazing... sang Lingmarra with us at the start of the concert and then came back to do the most emotional version of My Island Home with us... I'm hoping to see her during the Darebin Music Feast
Liz Frencham - played Double Bass and taught the crowd and the choir a lovely song that we sang along with
Ron Murray - wowed us with his didgeridoo... both in the opening song, Lingmarra and later in the encore of My Island Home

There were others, including a performance by The West Papuan Culture Group that was very moving... and the wonderful Dani Fry belting out a great gospel track with us.

Now, all I need to do is go chasing up albums for all these wonderful people, and prepare for concert two on Friday night... still plenty of tickets available for any Melbourne readers... not so many of us singing this time ... only about 160! Miss La De Da and I have been having a quiet nightmare about her and I being the only Alto 1's in attendance...

Ain't got no troubles in my life, no foolish dreams to make me cry, I'm never frightened or worried, I know I'll always get by... I've got the music in me, I've got the music in me....


Blogindipity strikes again! Found this quiz at Chicken-Scratch... I can live with this one!


You are Schroeder!
Take this quiz!



7 comments:

Ann Aguirre said...

I'm considering a karaoke machine because I always get asked to sing at parties, but the musicians playing know mostly Spanish tunes.

Anonymous said...

It does truly sound like a magical experience. I have a fridge magnet that says: we do not remember days, only moments - and this is one of those moments.

Thanks for the plug! I'm at home this week and will be blogging more frequently . . . Tho' I do intend to take lots of cat naps and catch up on my reading as well.

Thinking of you and sending you a big virtual hug, XINE :)

Suzy said...

Congratulations on your magical night!
This has to be one of those defining moment for you.

Cup said...

How cool is that! I can't carry two notes, so I'm jealous.

catsmum said...

sounds fabulous. Colour me green in a good way :]

Rhian said...

i'm so proud of you.
like REALLY REALLY REALLY proud.
like superhumongous proud.
yeah- that kinda proud.
smooches!

Miss Frou Frou said...

Ann - I luvs me some karaoke... though having learnt songs in portuguese, italian, koori and tahitian for this concert... singing in Spanish would be cool.

Xine - oh it was magical... in ways that are so hard to describe

Soozii - yes, this was defining for me... I was one of those kids told to sing 'quietly' in choir at school so have always been a bit selfconscious about singing unless I was snickered!

Beth - can't say I can carry anymore... though I do think I've learn't a lot of pitch over the last few months

Catsmum - you'll have to join us next year... there are regional choirs across Victoria who come together with us for the concert... you could clog!

Rhi - thank you sweetling... I'm proud of me too!