Monday 12 February 2007

To All the Girls I've Loved Before...

For helping me to grow
I owe a lot I know
For all the girls I've loved before...(Willie Nelson)

I'm feeling very indulgent...I've just come home from my weekly meditation class and over the last few weeks I've been reminded of the number of extraordinary women in my life and how blessed I am to have them.

As it's St Valentine's day this week, this is a Valentine to all those gorgeous girls out there (in no particular order), who not only allow me to be myself, but actively encourage me.

Miss La De Da - what is it that they say... you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family! Well, MLDD is a family member I chose as a friend. Growing up we didn't see each other often, but when we did, usually much mayhem ensued, particularly when we choreographed outrageous dance routines and performed them for our family. She's allowed me to find the inner Miss Frou Frou that lives inside us all. And been there through the most amazing times... laughing at each other while I do my pathetic version of the shimmy, tap dancing badly on stage dressed as a cow... holding my hand while I got my first tattoo... helping shop for things for my very first home... and through those first tentative moments of being in love and the heartache and heartbreak when he choses someone else.

And more recently, the Giggle Girl... Miss La De Da's sister. I introduced her to her husband, though she doesn't hold that against me... this beautiful woman, is shy, and funny and loving and has a giggle that just melts your heart.

She's christened herself loveulongtime here... but what she is, is a wonderful friend. Sixteen years ago, she wandered into my workplace to interview for a job, and we started to chat, and I feel in love... I can remember sharing a secret with her that I hadn't told a soul one morning eating cold pizza and birthday cake for breakfast (as you do) and having her hug me and say it was ok. She talks even more than I do, and listens like nobody else I know... and made me cry recently when she told me if she'd been a bloke we would have been married 15 years ago. There have been times when for various reasons we haven't connected for awhile, but each time is just a continuation of the last and I can't emphasis enough how much I value her friendship.

The Groove Train Gang... it's funny the connections you make in a workplace. This group of 5, ranging in age from 25 to 45, have established a friendship that surprises and delights me on a regular basis. While we all interact with one another individually in different ways now that we no longer all work together, once every two months or so, we manage to coordinate ourselves into a dinner at Groove Train at Melbourne Central that has to be seen to be believed. Our conversations are absurd... and most recently have included:

  • why it is that Catholics are the only faith that make reference to being non-practising, which lead to our giving each other our own non-practising names i.e. one of us is a non-practising nice person, another recently has declared that she is a non-practising introvert whereas I faciliated between being a non-practising skinny girl and being a non-practising heterosexual - which still has them shaking their heads (I understand exactly what I meant!)
  • how hosting a costume party with the theme Once Upon A Time... Fairytales, Fantasy and Myths is the only legitimate excuse for hiring a Jumping Castle for an adult party
  • The merits of hundreds and thousands as opposed to sprinkles on fairy bread
  • And why I want to be Little Red Riding Hood**
The PW's are another group of former work colleagues, who for over a decade have met a couple of times a year, with the odd 'dick free' weekend thrown in. I've seen some of them have their babies and watched them grow in to amazing kids, and have enjoyed the delight of their partners on the odd occasions that they've come along to what they refer to as 'secret women's get togethers'. Just a casual arrangement of brunches and dinners, where sometimes we all make it, and sometimes we don't, but are just as precious as the most elaborately planned affairs.

The Monday Meditation Mob are the most extraordinary group of women. We have nothing in common, except an interest in exploring the world and our place in it through guided meditation. A diverse group of six who have meet each week during the school term now for over 2 years. This group of women have provided a sanctuary of peace and acceptance. At the head of the group, is our teacher, a guide, a mentor, a friend - who opens up her home to us and allows us to truly be ourselves. I am so lucky to have found you all.

And there are others:
  • Jappa - who has offered to knit me a bloke!
  • Moon Girl - a very new friend who makes me laugh and has given me courage and support while I settle into a new job
  • The Bookworm - my oldest friend - we've known each other since preppies - she introduced me to the joys of cross-stitch and mills and boons... and had the happy knack of being invisible and able to eavesdrop on the boys in high school when they were talking about us, until she'd give herself away when she laughed
**
GTG: Why do you want to be Little Red Riding Hood?


MFF: Cause I want to meet the Big Bad Wolf

GTG: But the Big Bad Wolf ate her?

MFF: I know!!!!

GTG: Oh.OH.. that's dirty as....

Much hilarity ensues....

No comments: