Thursday 21 June 2007

Thursday Thirteen #8... A Hazy Shade of Winter


Today is the Winter Solstice here in the Southern Hemisphere so I bring you 13 things about the Winter Solstice.

One: Solstice is derived from two Latin words: "sol" meaning sun, and "sistere," to cause to stand still. The winter solstice -- the first day of winter, when it is the shortest day and the longest night. From this point on, each day will progressively lengthen till the summer solstice on December 21st

Two: The Winter Solstice can also be referred as Jul, Yule, Yuletide, Midwinter, Feill Fionnain, Alban Arthan

Three: The earliest recorded Australian Midwinter bonfire was lit in Moonta, the night leading into June 24, 1862 by Cornish immigrants carrying on the European Midsummer tradition. The Midwinter bonfire holiday also began in Burra soon after. Currently, Yulefest is observed by various Australians, often starting on a weekend in late June.

Four: In Ancient Greece, the winter solstice ritual was called Lenaea, the Festival of the Wild Women. In the forest, a man or bull representing the harvest god, Dionysus, was torn to pieces and eaten by Maenads. Later in the ritual, a baby, representing Dionysus reborn, was presented. By Classical Greece, the human sacrifice had been replaced by that of a goat and the women's role had changed to that of funeral mourners and observers of the birth.

Five: In celtic tradition, the solstices and equinoxes all occur at about midpoint in each season. While the Solstices were not as important to the ancient celts as the major fire festivals; Lughnasadh (August 1); Beltane (May Day, May 1); Imbolc (February 1- Bridgit); and Samhain (November 1, Halloween), many believe there was celebration. Of the solstices and equinoxes, the Winter Solstice was the most important, since it marked the rebirth of the sun after the shortest day.

Six: Soyalangwul is the winter solstice ceremony of the Zuni and the Hopitu Shinumu, "The Peaceful Ones", also known as the Hopi Indians. It is held on December 21st, the shortest day of the year. The main purpose of the ritual is to ceremonially bring the sun back from its long winter slumber. It also marks the beginning of another cycle of the Wheel of the Year, and is a time for purification.

Seven: The solstice commemorates the death of the Holly King identified with the wren bird (symbolizing the old year and the shortened sun) at the hands of his son and successor, the robin redbreast Oak King (the new year and the new sun that begins to grow)

Eight: Other deities associated with the solstice are Lucina, Frey, Nerthus, Woden, Herne, Atthar, Sunna, Sul, Amaterasu, Isis, Osiris, Apollo

Nine: In the present day, some see this as a good time to make reflect on the last 12 months and meditate and make affirmations for the coming year

Ten: On Monday night, a group of friends will get together and meditate on the Winter Solstice. We will each bring something from the earth, either food or foliage and a candle/s that symbolises what we would like to bring forth for the coming year.

Eleven: Candle Colours (based on chakras): Violet/Purple - Self knowledge, spiritual awareness, Indigo (deep blue) Intuition, the unconscious, physic powers, Blue - Self Expression, communication, speech, wisdom, Green or Pink - Love/ Self Love, Yellow - Self Worth, Curiosity, connecting the ego and intellect, Orange -Self Respect, the freedom to be yourself, remove inhibitions, social and independence Red - Self Awareness, Connecting to your physical self particularly your sexuality, strong connection with the earth

Twelve: I went shopping for candles today, and found myself buying a pink, a green and a blue candle. Having found before that on the day I suddenly feel a need for a different colour, I'm covering some bases, and will take all three with me, and possible a Purple one as well and decide on the night

Thirteen: I am looking forward to this night... it starts the beginning of another term of meditations, having only met sporadically over the last few months, the group of 6 as a whole decided that we need to meet more regularly. I'm not sure whether it is the meditation itself or the love and support I feel from this group of remarkable women, but it always feels like sanctuary when I walk through the door, and while meditating is often difficult as I struggle to switch my brain off... I always feel profoundly altered, calm and energised at the same time.

"And from that day on, we've honored and celebrated it. It's a time of rebirth for our wishes and our dreams. A time of coming together in joy and peace. It's the shortest day of the year and the longest night. But on this special night a new light, a new chance, is born to us all. So it's a time for miracles and goodwill towards all living creatures. That's why the Winter's Solstice means so much and touches us all so deeply"... Gabrielle, Xena Warrior Princess


29 comments:

Unknown said...

It's strange for me to think it's winter right now. It's barely feeling like summer where I'm at today though. *sigh*

Joy Renee said...

interesting. it is almost like contemplating an alien planet to think of the other side of the world being in winter while i am currently suffering from some of the warmest days of the year so far here in Southern Oregon. and it's only going to get worse until mid September!

too bad snow doesn't mail well... :)

thanx for visiting my tt

N.J.Walters said...

It's strange, but I never stopped to think that it was the Winter Solstice somewhere else in the world. Happy Solstice everyone!

It's rainy and foggy where I am, not at all like the Summer Solstice. We haven't really gotten much summer weather yet, but I'm hopeful.

I really like the idea of your meditation group. It sounds wonderful and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Anonymous said...

festival of wild women, huh?

Di said...

There was another TT on the solstice...but I read it yesterday and that is WAY too long ago to remember!

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Today is the first day of summer here.. and it's felt like summer for the past couple months. I think we skipped spring altogether.
:P

Miss Frou Frou said...

Christine/Joy - it's very much winter here, after major drought conditions we seem to have had rain, rain and more rain, and while it doesn't snow here in Melbourne, it's been cold enough that the snow season in our alps has opened with REAL snow...

NJ - it's been very foggy here as well, last Friday the fog didn't lift till well into the afternoon, and then descended again by 5.00pm - it was spooky. My meditation group is wonderful, a haven of calm in an often crazy world

Shiloh - doesn't a festival of wild women sound fantastic? I have a book by SARK called Succulent Wild Women - I love it!

Di - I've seen a dozen or so tonight, though all summer solstice ones

Scifichick - we seem to have missed autumn.. the earth is a bit confused, some of my mothers spring bulbs were blooming weeks ago, and have now died as its so cold!

LA Day said...

It's summer here. I could use a few cool days.

Susan Demeter said...

Happy Winter Solstice! It's odd reading this for me too because it is our Summer Solstice ... :) Great list, and thank you!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Awesome Thursday Thirteen! I really enjoy the older forms of worship and think there is a lot we can get from remembering older traditions.

Tilly Greene said...

Isn't it wonderful how one half of earth is enjoying the sun and the fruits of spring while the other is cooling down...enjoy your mediation gathering on Monday with all your friends :-)

Anonymous said...

It's raining here - and very gray. Doesn't feel like summer at all. Loved this list. May your meditation on Monday night with your wild women bring you great fun and peace.

Have a great weekend, XINE

Dorothy said...

It's funny, I cannot wait for the longest day of the year, today, and the minutes swinging slowly back to winter. In the winter it's the same, a marking place for change on Dec 21. Thanks for your 13 on this subject. I am better enlightened about our world and friends at the opposite end.

Red Garnier said...

Very interesting Miss Frou. I'm glad you'll be getting together soon with your group, meditating more. I love that. And Happy Solstice!!!

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting! Today is the first day of summer for us and here in Maine, it's a gorgeous warm day. Kind of cool to think it's winter elsewhere. Thanks for coming to my TT!

Sparky Duck said...

Starr was right, this is a great list, even if I cant use most of the information until December!

I never knew how important purple was and I am thrilled anytime Native Americans get there due for the spirituality they had.

Lisa Andel said...

I agree with Christine, though we've got a winner of a summer day warming up here. It kind of took me by surprise, and I like that.

I also like that you shared what you will be doing this solstice. I do not think you will need the blue candle this evening. :)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

A beautiful picture along with your TT. Happy solstice - hope your have a rejuvenating meditation. Love the quote from Gabrielle - "Xena" is a big favorite of my husband and me!

Tink said...

Happy Solstice to you too!
Thanks for visiting my Litha TT!

L^2 said...

I have to say, I'm glad it's summer here. I hate cold weather!

Happy solstice, Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my list. :-)

MsSnarkyPants said...

What an interesting and informative list. :D It still blows my mind the whole its winter there while its summer here thing. My in laws are in Uruguay and just bought a beach house, which they can't really use until next christmas. :D Well at least the beach part of it...

Mz Jackson said...

Very interesting list~Festival of the Wild Women, huh? I'll have to remember that one!

Ann said...

Happy Solstice! Great list, thanks for the info. Hope you have a happy and healthy winter!

Anonymous said...

Wow, winter solstice -- I like thinking of the cool weather you're having, it's so hot here in the southeastern U.S.!

Thanks for sharing such interesting information about Winter Solstice! Fascinating reading. :)

Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog!

Shelley Munro said...

Yes, it's cold and raining here in New Zealand - very definitely Winter solstice! Your group sounds wonderful. :-)

Tawnya Shields said...

It is so cool to see a TT about the other side of the world! I prefer Winter Solstice, my favorite season behind the Autumn Equinox. :o)

Thanks for stopping by my TT. :o)

Happy Winter Solstice.

Rhian said...

i'm with everyone else, going OH YEAH!!! Duh. Awesomely terrific TT QueenFrou! I love the Holly King. I just came from Tempest's TT which is about Summer Solstice so this had even more impact on me.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Psst... Come See Me!

PJ said...

I love learning new facts, so thanks for sharing this info. Thanks for visiting my TT.