Thursday 3 May 2007

Thursday Thirteen #1...


Thirteen Things I'D RATHER BE DOING THAN THIS...


I work as a Safety Adviser and in conversations this week about various hazards, like wrangling cattle to prevent them racing on to a major road in peak hour, a plaque of ants of seven signs of the Apocalypse proportions and shaking my head vehemently when someone offered to take me up on to the roof to demonstrate the fall arrest system, I'm starting to think I really made the wrong career decisions... so, 13 possible career choices that would suit me much better:

One: Secondhand Book Seller - would love to have a funky little shop crammed with books, and a resident cat, and a big red velvet couch for people to sprawl on and read to their hearts content.

Two: Teller of Fortunes - preferably with the gypsies...

Three: Clown - I'm so clumsy most of the time, I should go to clown school to learn how to pratfall properly, without doing myself an injury... another reason being a Safety Adviser is not a smart career move... do as I say and not as I do!

Four: Voice Artist - my one asset, I have a voice that people find appealing, particularly when they can hear me but not see me. Of course, there are those who think it would be best suited to voice overs of the 'Call me, call me, now' variety... but really anything would do. And bonus, I wouldn't have to worry about what I looked like.

Five: Quiz Show Contestant - surely the wealth of completely and utterly useless information accumulated in my head, must be worth something? They don't call me the Trivia Queen for nothing.

Six: Night Patrol Person - with my body clock now almost permanently on the sleeping all day, awake all night mode... this would be a much more logical choice for me

Seven: Vampire - see explanation for six

Eight: Event Planner - while my friend Cheesegirl is the party planner extraordinaire, I'm discovering I'm not too bad at it myself...

Nine: Web Based Quilt Shop Owner - would love to be able to buy and sell quilt supplies, but don't have enough expertise to run a face to face shop, so an online quilt shop would suit me better, and I could still probably sleep all day, up all night... rather than have to be there to open the doors at a particular hour

Ten: Personal Shopper - that would be the coolest job, to spend other people's money!

Eleven: Backing Singer - I'd like to do this, but am in no way suited to it... they'd have to do the Yoko thing and turn the mike off... but I'd love to be behind the band, doing the do wop stuff and Tamla Motown Supremes era dance moves.... oh... forgot... dancing... in sync with others... not a great idea!

Twelve: Millionaire's Kept Woman - (see 10) joking with the Nature Boy this week I did say I need to find a millionaire who will keep me in the style I wish to be accustomed to who would expect nothing in return. He said, well surely you'd give him something... like what says I.... I don't know, cook him the odd meal... and then I laughed till I pee'd... I'd better marry him in that case, cause I'd be a widow all too soon... botulism anyone?

Thirteen: Writer... sigh... is there a market for weird, flying by the seat of my pants, type random musings of the slightly more than strange variety?



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of Thursday Thirteen. I'm totally addicted. It's such great fun - jumping from site to site - exploring all the weird, wacky, funny, profound, literate, sexy things post for their TTs.

It's a compliment too that you attribute Rhian and myself for getting you "hooked."

Of all the alternate jobs you posted, I identified with numbers 1, 2, 8, 10, 12 and 13.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

You could be a secondhand book seller at my house. We have loads.

I'm with you on the Night Patrol/vampire thing. I don't see why there can't be a parrallel world where the night owls can start their workday at noon and head for supper at 8pm. Is that too much to ask?

The having to cook for the millionaire would be the deal breaker for me, too!

And I hope that's all it takes to become a writer, cause I'm betting the farm on it.

Two Voices Publishing said...

Book shop owner and quilt shop owner would be on my list too! How about books and quilts together?

Rhian said...

let's be vamps together! oh wait - you said vampires, didn't you. damn it. and hey - i make a pretty good living being a "weird, flying by the seat of my pants, type random musings of the slightly more than strange variety" creative person. Wouldn't have it any other way! grin! ps - wahoo on playing with us!

Karina said...

Saw that this is your first TT, and as it is mine as well, figured I'd stop by. I would also love to be a book shop owner and a personal shopper...alas, I'm doing my time as a paralegal.

OH, right, and a writer too! ;-)

Miss Frou Frou said...

Christine - thank you, I can see this is going to be fun, except I'm not good at commitment...

Julia - I have loads of books too, and funnily enough asked my boss just yesterday if I could start at middday and work till 8.00pm - she just rolled her eyes...

Jennifer - yeah, the combined book/quilt shop idea has major merit, add in an old fashioned tea shop and it would be a winner, except they wouldn't let me anywhere near the food!

Rhi - Oh, forgot about a vamp! Is that a legitimate career choice do you think?

Karina - Hi, will stop by and check out your T13 - this is fun!

Anonymous said...

Your number one is my dream job! Someday, maybe. :)

Wylie Kinson said...

Welcome to TT!!
Great list -- Very imaginative. I might have to steal the idea :)

I'm with you on 1, 5, 12, and 13.

kuanyin333 said...

Happy TT! If you subscribe to the concept of reincarnation, if you don't get to do all these in this lifetime, well...there's always the next!

Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

Welcome to TT! This week was my third. Fun, addicting and really time consuming! LOL

Your first list was great. I used to want to own a cute, cozy secondhand book shop too. Part of me still does.

As for #13--I say go for it! There's much to be said for quirky, fresh voices. :-)

Miss Frou Frou said...

Dew - yeah, it's mine too, hence the number one.

Wylie - thanks, steal away...

Kuanyin - I'm sure I've been the gypsy fortuneteller already, have had vivid meditations where I am that person...great name by the way

Daisy - thanks for the encouragement, am starting baby steps at writing what I think will be a comic romance

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Thursday Thirteen! It's a lot of fun. :)

I'm already a writer (trying to break into print publication), but I've often thought if I ever had a business, it would have to be a secondhand book store. And LOL, I have four resident cats in my house! :)

Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog!

Alyssa Goodnight said...

Great idea for a list! I'd love to do some of those things myself, particularly the bookshop owner.

Happy T13!

Miss Frou Frou said...

Tomma - 4 cats! Your's so lucky, we're only allowed to have 2 here in OZ unless we get a special permit

Alyssa - the bookshop owner appears to be the most popular, wonder why?

Elle Fredrix said...

Welcome to TT!

Great idea for a list. I'm with you on quite a few of these, most notably 1,4,8 & 10.

Thanks for dropping by my TT. Let's do this again next week!

Miss Frou Frou said...

Elle - thanks, will have a proper look at your blog when I have some time

M said...

I have this little bookshop/coffee house/music shop with a screening room for movies upstairs. My four favourite things.

Miss Frou Frou said...

M - There was a place in Collingwood that was a huge cavernous downstairs area with a bar/kitchen and an upstairs area that they used as a theatre.. I used to dream about filling it with books and having screenings/ readings in the upstairs place... it's a Jazz bar now!