Thursday 31 May 2007

Thursday Thirteen #5...A house is a home when it shelters the body and comforts the soul... Phillip Moffat

I rent my home, and it meets my needs more than adequately, but it's not mine! So, I look at the online real estate sites and look at houses and floor plans and imagine my things inside them. Oh, I like that kitchen, yuk that paint colour is awful.

I moved out of home into a share house at 19, and had a miserable experience, and moved back to my parents home, temporarily, 18 months later. And didn't leave again, until 5 years ago... instead, with my brother, I bought the house - it is ours, though it will always be my mother's home - and hence I will always need to live elsewhere. Because I moved out with almost nothing, I had the advantage of money in my pocket and the ability to plan and pick what I wanted, and I surprised a lot of my closest friends when they discovered when it comes to house furnishings I'm fairly old-fashioned. Not sure why they were so surprised, as I've always loved old and kitschy things, trawling trash and treasure markets for bargains... like Bakelite canisters, and funky vegetable shaped crockery... I even have a set of flying ducks on my entry wall...

Anyway, if I were to built the house of dreams, these are the 13 things I would have... in no particularly order of importance...

One: An Attic I prefer houses that have lots of different rooms than big open spaces, while I can admire warehouse style living, it's not for me. And ever since I was a little girl, reading about the March sisters in their attic, I've dreamt of having one... whether as a space to retreat or as a bedroom

Two: Bath I love to play in the bath... and a bath big enough for two is my idea of bliss. I could live out every Cleopatra fantasy I've ever had in this bathroom.... milk bath anyone? Only think missing is a bookshelf... and the odd semi-naked man slave...

Three: Bedroom isn't the open fireplace gorgeous.. and the wing back chairs, and the white bed cover. A big soft bed, with lots of pillows, a fireplace, somewhere to sit while you put your socks on, lots of natural light... perfect!

I have a 1930s era cast iron bed, that sat in the shed at Mum's house for years, but I sanded and painted it cream when I moved. It's got a high head and foot, and stands close to a metre off the ground... everyone laughs at how high it is, asking if I need a footstool to get into it... MLDD calls it my Princess and the Pea bed... I love it.

Four:Conservatory isn't this an amazing space? Of course, during an Australian summer this space would be unbearable, but during autumn and winter it would be well used.

Can easily imagine curling up on the chaise lounge reading a book, or cuddling with a boy, listening to music and talking and fooling around. A glass of wine, a plate of fruit, cheese, crackers... Beulah peel me a grape!

Five: Guest Suite I have a spare room at present, that is also my junk room, ironing, filing cabinets, baskets of quilt fabrics and projects... anything I want to keep out of my living room.

It would be lovely to have a room that could be kept for guests. A nice bed, a comfy couch, a table to write at, a small bookshelf of bedtime reading.

Six:Country Kitchen considering I am a self-confessed undomestic goddess, I'm particular about kitchens... I want a white and timber kitchen, with lots of space to display all that funky and kitschy stuff I've collected. It needs to have lots of natural light, and lots and lots of cupboards... I like the bookshelves too.

I think even I'd cook if I had a kitchen like this.

Seven: A Library this is a must have, a place for all my books. And again, I like light, bright spaces. While I can admire the dark timbered libraries, I'd much prefer something like this.
With a mandatory soft and squishy couch, and preferably an open fireplace and lots of lamps. Bit of a theme being established here... isn't there. To be honest, I'd have bookshelves in every room of the house, if I had my way.

Eight: Breakfast Nook don't ask me why I like these, I just do. MLDD's family used to live in a 1930s era house that has a built in eatery, and I loved it.

Imagine playing footsies with someone here on a Sunday morning while you have a big breakfast and sharing the papers.


Nine: A Wrap Around Verandah
warm summer evenings, sitting outside watching the world go by.

An afternoon tea party, with butterfly cakes, and sandwiches with the crusts cut off, and a pot of tea, or homemade lemonade, served on mismatched china covered in rosebuds and violets.

Ten:Quilt Studio oh, how lovely it would be to have a dedicated space for playing with needle and thread. Doesn't the wall of colour look amazing... I would be so inspired to create more if I could have a space like this, instead of everything crammed into boxes and baskets stored all over the house.






Eleven: Windowseats something else I'd love to have in every room of the house.

Welcome to Miss Frou Frou's house of laziness, indulgence and sloth...






Twelve: Sadie, the Cleaning Lady
Meet Sadie... she's the second most important part of my wishlist (see 13!) If I'm going to have all this room, this is not a nice to have but a necessity. Repeat after me - UNDOMESTIC GODDESS










Thirteen:
Seriously, do I need to explain this?










36 comments:

M said...

I've always dreamed of having my very own cosy library.

Red Garnier said...

LMAO, Miss Frou! Oh I love your dream home. The attic and the bath and most of all George Clooney. Is he, like, the butler? LOL!

Anonymous said...

This sounds divine!! The pictures are all great. Especially the cleaning lady. Great TT list!

Unknown said...

I base whether or not I'll buy a house on if it has a nice bath tub. I'll actually get into it and stretch out to see how I fit. Someday I'm going to have one like in that picture.

Anonymous said...

Oh great, just when I thought it was safe to read these TT's, I get all caught up in x-rated fantasies about George Clooney!!!! YUMMY!!! LOVE HIM! You did an excellent job with your TT. I will have to do something similar. Great idea!!! LOVE IT!

Christina (BookTasty) said...

Your dream home sounds lovely! I especially like the library, conservatory and breakfast nook. There is a lack of quaint old homes like the ones in the pictures here in the US. Thanks for stoppping by my blog by the way :)

MsSnarkyPants said...

*giggles* I'll take a library, a wrap around porch, and a conservatory! Oh and don't forget to throw in Sadie's sister. :D

Anonymous said...

Our next home will have a library - where else am I going to put the 40 boxes of books, plus everything that I've accumulated in the 5 years of our marriage . . . Loves these photos. The window seat and the wrap around verandah are also wonderful.

Angela/SciFiChick said...

I have enough books to fill my own library.. Now, I just need to get the wall-to-wall shelves..

Kate Davies said...

What a fabulous TT! Great pics, great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Kate Johnson said...

Oh, I'm so with you on that...especially 12 and 13!

I'd love an attic too. The 'loft' in my house is only about five feet high, boiling hot and usually full of creepy crawlies!

And of course, the library...although at present my entire house qualifies!

Birdydownunder said...

omg Frou we could have twin houses...... just love the photos, but will pass on 13...he's a big young... aubirdwoman

Ann Aguirre said...

A lot of your wants are on my list too. A library and a pool are high on mine, though.

Elle Fredrix said...

I wanna come live with you when it's done! These were fabulous.

But, uh, will you share number 13?

Anne D said...

Considering my 'other' job is designing and constructing kids clothes, I'm all over #10.

Wylie Kinson said...

Hiya Miss Frou -- Oh, I LOVED this topic. Ever since I was a kid, I'd cut 'dream rooms' out of magazines and paste them into my 'dream house' book. I have such eclectic taste -- I wanted to do each room in a different theme: woodsy, French Provincial, cozy country, classically sophisticated,...
But somehow, in all my plans, I didn't work in a Sadie or a George!! ;)
btw - this is NOT a plug for my book, but Destiny by Design is about a competition to decorate an executive show house, so you see, my obsession carried into my writing!

Anna J. Evans said...

OMG! I want that bathroom. It's so gorgeous!! (And the maid of course. You can keep George, I just want the maid!)

Hugs,

Anna J Evans

Anonymous said...

LOLOL! Sounds like a lovely house -- I think all of those elements would be delightful, and especially the library and George Clooney! *giggle*

Hey, maybe he could be the librarian, hee!

Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog!

Emma Petersen said...

Great list! I've never thought about what I'd want in a house. Your house is a dream house. I'd love to live there!

Lori said...

Great pic's ....especially the last one;)

Unknown said...

OMG This is THE BEST TT EVER!!!

I so want to live with you! lol

Tink said...

Hmmm, I could easily picture myself in that house. A library and windowseats are my favourites!
Thanks for visiting my blue moon TT!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ooh, so much there I'd like for myself -- especially the library. I'm drooling with the ideas of what I could accomplish in a room like that...

(you can keep Clooney)

Happy TT and thanks for visiting!

Cinnamon Girl said...

Mmmmm

I'll take a side of #13 with my #9!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Your dream home is now on my list of places I want to visit - as long as you're on the verrandah and we can sit awhile and sip drinks.

Karina said...

Great TT!!! The pictures are beautiful, and numbers 12 and 13 made me laugh out loud! Fabulous!!!

Dewey said...

I'm with you on the tons of natural light. Essential! I also like many rooms instead of the open plan.

a villager said...

Love the list! That's just about the same way I'd want my dream house too, only I'd want an upper floor balcony wrap around type deal too. That way I could see far away out into the sea.

JO said...

that's a lot of requirements... hope you find your dream house soon...

happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Can I move in with you? I love these pictures. You've captured my dream home. It's so hard to even pick favorites. I adore the library--a must. The kitchen is gorgeous and the breakfast nook darling.

I rent too and live in an apartment. I don't know if I'll ever come close to having a house like this but it is wonderful to dream.

Happy TT and thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Hell, I'll take the bathroom all by itself!

Oh, and uh, George, too!
TJ

kuanyin333 said...

I love most of your dream places, especially the last one! Happy TT!

Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said...

I love the window seat! And um...#13...*G*

Ann said...

Great list, I especially liked the bathroom and the window seats. The only thing i'd add would be a garden. Happy TT.

Joy Renee said...

i'm drooling over every one of those rooms. all that light and room! all those books. except the quilt room for me would fine needlework--needlepoint, cross stitch, embroidery.

i played the silly google game for my TT: 13 things Google thinks Joy needs.

Miss Frou Frou said...

Hi all, thanks for all your comments. It seems where a hedonistic lot - with everyone loving the bath, and the library, and George... not necessarily in order of importance!!!