Thursday 17 May 2007

Thursday Thirteen #3...13 Aussie Songbirds



In last week's Thursday Thirteen, Rhian posted about 13+ Georgia bands/musicians, about the same time I was thinking about doing a TT on Australian music, and then decided to do one on some of my favourite Aussie musical chicks...I realise for my overseas bloggy pals, you won't have heard of some of these, so have linked to sites like YouTube where you'll get a bit of an idea.

One... Divinyls (Chrissie Amphlett) Boys in Town, 1981 - ...I think they're pretty phoney, you're not like the rest, you've heard of matrimony, they've all flunked that test... released on the Monkey Grip soundtrack, based on the Helen Garner novel, the band also featured in the film... great movie, great music.

Two... Pat Wilson - Bop Girl, 1983 - our own answer to Cyndi Lauper! Check out the clip and you'll see a very young, frizzy haired Nicole Kidman...

Three... Eurogliders (Grace Knight) Heaven ( must be there), 1984 - I loved Grace Knight bopping around... she also sings cool 40's torch songs...

Four... Do Re Mi (Deborah Conway) Man Overboard, 1985 ...your pubic hairs are on my pillow, your stubble raids the sink...you talk about penis envy, your friends applaud, what am I expected to do - shout Man Overboard... great lyrics that saw the song banned from some radio playlists at the time.

Five... Kate Ceberano - Bedroom Eyes, 1988 - aarh, Katie is all woman, she started performing at 15 and has covered the gamut of musical genres.

Six... Kylie Minogue - Better the Devil You Know, 1990 - our own Singing Budgie... will admit, I like Kylie... simply, infectious dance songs... why not?

Seven... Frente (Angie Hart) - Bizarre Love Triangle, 1995 - from Marvin the Album. This great, little girl voice...

Eight... Bachelor Girl (Tania Doko) - Buses and Trains, 1998 - ... So I walked under a bus, I got hit by a train, Keep falling in love, Which is kinda the same... 'nuff said...

Nine... Christine Anu - My Island Home, 2000 - I love this song, not a great sound, recorded at the Sydney Olympic Games

Ten... Killing Heidi (Ella Hooper) Weir, 2001 ... for one so young Ella has an amazing musical knowledge, this song was off the band's first album

Eleven... Kasey Chambers - I Not Pretty Enough, 2002 ... am I not pretty enough? is my heart too broken? do I cry too much? Am I too outspoken? Don't I make you laugh? Should I try it harder? Why do you see right through me?... this song has had a huge number of parody songs written about it... at the time it was released I was dealing with the fact that the person I loved was choosing to marry someone else, despite telling me that he loved me... so it got played a lot... recently The Choir of Hard Knocks sang it at their gala concert, and this wonderful group of homeless and disadvantaged people who sing like angels added another layer to the song for me.

Twelve... Amiel - Lovesong, 2003 - ... Thanks you've been fuel for thought, Now I'm more lonely than before, But, thats okay, I've just 'ready made another f**king love song... censored to I've just 'ready made another stupid love song... have to add Addicted to Bass to this list... we used to tap dance to this... it was bloody hard, but fun

Thirteen... Katie Noonan - Time To Begin, 2007 - Katie Noonan sings like an angel... this is her first solo single, previously she was lead singer with the band, George.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

22 comments:

Wylie Kinson said...

Hi Miss Frou -- I'm embarrassed to say that I only know Kylie and the Divinyls. How 'bout some of the real popular exports like INXS (both original and with our own Canadian boy, JD Fortune), Air Supply, Little River Band (showing my age here), and ONJ! Y'all ROCK Down Under!!

Anonymous said...

Cool Beans, nifty music to check out! Thanks for sharing. :) I knew only Kylie, Frente, and Katie Noonan.

Happy Thursday Thirteening! :)

Unknown said...

Oooh I didn't know a lot of these (except for Kylie). I really loved Midnight Oil and Men At Work too. Awesome singers. And isn't AC/DC Aussie too??

Rhian said...

oh yeah - INXS!!! You tell her Wylie! oooh and Midnight Oil and Men at Work!!! They were AWESOME!
Can you tell i'm an 80s wench? Sadly i don't know most of those you listed but what a brilliant idea QueenFrou!! You so smart.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Great Thursday Thirteen, Miss Frou Frou - the history behind "I Not Pretty Enough" and the newer performance by The Choir of Hard Knocks is very moving.

As for me, I have to chime in with the other Canucks on the INXS bandwagon. I'm an 80's chick, and INXS accompanied me everywhere as I roamed the streets of Toronto in my 20's. Wonderful memories of that!

I also own a Kylie CD that gets a lot of play ("Fever".)

Anonymous said...

Hello Miss Frou - I only know Kylie - this gives me some really cool music to check out and expand outside my comfort zone.

Happy Thursday!

Miss Frou Frou said...

Wylie - I deliberately mixed this up a little, with girls you might not have heard of.. that I love.

Thomma Lyn - yeah, I had fun listening to these as I did this

Christine - yes, AC/DC are Aussie, well they were, not all the band are now though. Am going to do another one these on Aussie pub bands at some stage

Rhian - funnily enough - I'm not a major INXS fan, like some stuff, particularly their early stuff. I'm a bit of an 80s wench too, but also love music from the 70s... and the 60s and the 50s... and now!

Julia - Not Pretty Enough is lovely, and hearing it sang a capella by these guys made me cry buckets... as did hearing them sing Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah

Xine - enjoy... hopefully there's something there that will appeal

RED GARNIER said...

Hi Miss Frou; Ditto what Wylie said. Know Kylie and the Divinyls. "I touch myself," oh yeah. Ha.

Actually I just saw your ERIC video and I have two words for you. THANK YOU!

OMG, what a man.

Now Lie with Me is in my amazon shopping cart. I promise to click BUY right now when I finish this sentence. =)

Ann Aguirre said...

I haven't heard of most of that list, but I'll check em out.

Miss Frou Frou said...

Red - I touch myself is a great song, but Boys in Town was their first.. and still one of their best, IMHO.

As for Eric, I know... the film is pretty so so storywise, but he's very cute... could easily imagine writing a story with him as the main character

Ann(ie) - I hope you enjoy some of them

Elle Fredrix said...

Hmm, the only one I know from that list is Kylie. Thanks for the education!

Lyn said...

Don't know most of them.
Lyn from Bloggin' Outloud

Karina said...

Always love checking out new music...these give me something to look up one of these days! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I swear I had a comment on your music list, but then I saw that extremely pretty man down there and got all distracted!

Anonymous said...

Cool list! Thanks for sharing. I don't know many of those, but will check them out.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know many on this list though I love the bands Wylie mentioned. Listened to those a lot when I was in college. Great list.

And thanks for stopping by my blog and opening my eyes to the lefty world. :-)

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Interesting--I don't think I know any of these! THanks for sharing!

Miscellaneous-Mum said...

LOL - I'm glad I'm aussie right now as I know all those. All great too!

Tink said...

I only knew Kylie from your list, but the others are worth checking out too!
Thanks for visiting my detective TT.

M said...

God bless the Divinyls!

Miss Frou Frou said...

Elle - it's surprised me how many people know Kylie...

Karina - I hope you enjoy them

Dew - lol, distracted by bright and shiny things...

Misc-mum - yep... Aussie music is tops

M - they were/ are great... and Chrissie is a goddess... I loved seeing her on Spicks and Specks and watching all the guys almost drool they were in such awe of her

Erica Ridley said...

I will have to check out some of these bands, but I was surprised (and delighted!) to learn some were bands I love! Great list