Thursday 24 May 2007

Thursday Thirteen #4...The Wisdom of Pooh and more words from Frou



Winnie-the-Pooh and the creatures of the 100 acre wood are wonderful creations of whimsy, I was never a fan of the disneyised versions, but can remember loving the original A.A. Milne's stories, Winnie-the-Pooh, The House at Pooh Corner, and Milne's books of children's poetry, When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six. In the same way I have discovered the adult wisdom in the works of Dr. Suess, Milne had amazing things to say, both silly and profound...

One: “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.” ...wouldn't this be a lovely thing to say to your true love...

Two: “It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"”... short responses rock indeed ...

Three: “You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” ... how easy it would be to hide away in my little corner of the Forest...

Four: “Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh," he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw, "I just wanted to be sure of you."” ... all together now, sigh... I've done this so many times...

Five: “Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering.” ... this isn't something I struggle with at all, my favourite gaze is of the navel variety...

Six: “People who don't think probably don't have brains; rather, they have grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake.” ... I wonder if you can get a lint remover for brains?... imagining pushing a bottlebrush through one ear and pulling it out the other...

Seven: “If you want to make a song more hummy, add a few tiddely poms.” ... shall remember this while trying not to make a total arse of myself at Melbourne Millennium Chorus rehearsals... me...singing... in public... in front of thousands... tiddely pom, tiddely pom, tiddely pom, oh crap!

Eight: “When late morning rolls around and you're feeling a bit out of sorts, don't worry; you're probably just a little eleven o'clockish.” ... I'm eleven o'clockish daily...

Nine: “Pooh looked at his two paws. He knew that one of them was the right, and he knew that when you had decided which one of them was the right, then the other was the left, but he never could remember how to begin” ... I couldn't distinguish my left from right until I was a teenager, and even now have to stop and orient myself, though interestingly I also seem to know which way is north!

Ten: "When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you think of Things, you sometimes find that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it" ... probably the best description of the contradiction of the inside of my head and my thoughts and feelings and the outside...

Eleven: "They're funny things, Accidents. You never have them till you're having them" ... wondering if I could use this as part of my health and safety training?

Twelve: “Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon” ... amen...

Thirteen: “A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise” ... double amen...

And just for fun, sing along with Frou...

The more it snows (Tiddely pom),
The more it goes (Tiddely pom),
The more it goes (Tiddely pom),
On snowing.
And nobody knows (Tiddely pom),
How cold my toes (Tiddely pom),
How cold my toes (Tiddely pom),
Are growing.

26 comments:

Birdydownunder said...

beautiful Frou...... I am so glad you have the words you say them all for me.... aubirdwoman

Rhian said...

aawwwwwwwww! big ol' hugs for you QueenFrou!!! I think it should be renamed the Tao of Frou. or Frou-Frou Zenniness. or The Frou-Ching.
or....ummmm - i better stop now.

Anne D said...

“Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon”

how true is that!

Tink said...

I have Pooh's Little Book of Wisdom and The Tao of Pooh; wise he is!
My TT is a co-production with Google this week. :-)

Red Garnier said...

This is sweet, Miss Frou! I mean...your highness. LOL.

I love number four, I do that to my DH alot!! =)

Anonymous said...

What a cute TT. I don't think I'll ever think of Pooh in the same way. And I loved your additional commentry.

Thanks for stopping by!

Erin the Innocent said...

I love this list! I think the wisdom that can be found in Winnie the Pooh is underestimated by a lot of people. :)

Anna J. Evans said...

Oh I love this list! My 3 year old son is on a total pooh kick. He goes around singing the songs constantly and we have a game where he gets 'stuck' under the couch like pooh in the honey tree and I have to sing--

"Think heavage, think ho-age, and
OUT the Roo will go-age"

And pull him out. Awww. I just love pooh.

thanks for this great list of pooh wisdom.

Anna J. Evans

Unknown said...

Love these! Number 4 and number 12 are really wonderful. I'm going to have to look for Pooh's Little Book of Wisdom.

MsSnarkyPants said...

Oh I love it! Pooh is just absolutely adorable! *whispers* Don't tell anyone, but I still seldom know my left from my right. ;)

Anonymous said...

Aww this was priceless. Love Pooh! Number one gets me all the time...sniff.

Dane Bramage said...

Those were great! I remember reading Pooh when I was a kid in school. As an adult I bought the books for my neices but my sister never read them to the girls.

Erica Ridley said...

I love Pooh bear!

Anonymous said...

I just adore your list! Pooh / Milne was so wise. :) Definitely gonna have to check out Pooh's Little Book of Wisdom!

Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I also love the original drawings. Love them!

The Tiddley Pom song goes through my head more than one might expect.

And my husband does a wicked impression of Eyeore that always cracks me up. "Bouncy or coughy, it's all the same at the bottom of the river..."

Dewey said...

Aw, this has to be my favorite TT this week! I just love Pooh.

Dewey said...

Aw, this has to be my favorite TT this week! I just love Pooh.

Elle Fredrix said...

Number 9. Seriously? I still have a hard time with that.

People have learned not to say things like "turn left here" because by the time I figure out what left is, we've missed the turn. I'm so happy I'm not alone in this!

Anonymous said...

This post is one I'm going to keep. I love the wisdom of Pooh. Years ago, I gave A.A. Milne's stories to all my co-workers for Christmas. At first, they thought I was a bit mad - then, they were all spouting passages for these beautiful books. Oh, and I totally agree with number 12 - baloons can brighten anyone's day!

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great weekend, XINE

Karina said...

This was so fun to read! Number five is my favorite, because I too am a fan of just "being" sometimes.

And I'm going to be singing that song all day now.

Speaking of songs, my TT is all about songs that hold memories in them for me...

Miss Frou Frou said...

Sheila - thank you

Rhian - the Tao of Frou, lol...

Anne - I regularly used to buy bunches of balloons as gifts instead of flowers, which everybody loved, except Boomerang Boy - he broke up with me the 1st time cause I sent him balloons for his birthday

Tink - wise he is, indeed... loved your TT

Red - I used to do it alot... heah you (me)... what's up (him)... 'just checking (me)

Gabriella - thanks, I enjoyed your TT

Erin - the words are lovely, just not a huge fan of what Disney have done...

Anna - that's very cute.. glad the magic of these stories is being passed on

Christine - I don't have Pooh's Little Book of Wisdom either, must search it out

Lesley - (whispers) I completely understand...

Joy - I know, me too...

Dane - I think he's considered a bit old fashioned these days

Erica - thanks

Thomma - look at me, increasing the Milne's estates profits...

Julia - Eeyore is my fav...my coffee mug at work has Eeyore on it, everyone comments

Dewey - thanks, I liked yours a lot this week, but I usually do

Elle - giving Boomerang Boy directions to my house to pick up for 1st date, I sent him right instead of left and he ended up 10 klms away before he realised... he never let me live it down

Miss Frou Frou said...

Xine - what a lovely gift idea! I had a tiny Dr Suess book in my bag for years, not sure where it went

Karina - I've been tiddely pomming most of the morning. Will check out your TT later

Suzy said...

What a wonderful list - Pooh has to be wisest most cleverest bear in the world!
PS (I don't know my left and right - I have my wedding ring hand and my other...ssshh)

savannah said...

perfect! even my jaded old self had to smile...thank you, queen frou ;)

Indiana said...

The wisdom of Pooh, such easy lessons from a bear who's only desire was his friends and honey.

Miss Frou Frou said...

Soozii - I had a bangle on my left hand for years, so my left was my bangle hand

Savannagh - thank you, I don't think you're so jaded!

Indy - friends and honey are probably the only two desires worth having anyway