Wednesday 9 May 2007

Thursday Thirteen #2...13 Things about my name/s


Am posting this Wednesday night as I have to be up and out early tomorrow morning and not sure when I'll get home!



In setting up this blog I tried hard to ensure that I was relatively anonymous, and pretty much had that blown out of the water the first time someone from RL posted a comment, when they outed me... so... my name is Vikki, and I'm a blogger...

Thirteen Things ABOUT MY NAME/S...

One: Miss Frou Frou is my tap dancing name, given to me by a work colleague cause he used to laugh ever time I came to work moaning and groaning and often limping having kicked myself in the heel with my tap shoe as an Absolute Beginner at Miss Lou Lou's Tap Dancing Academy

Two: My real name is Vicki, but someone years ago, used to regularly send me a telex (I told you it was years ago) with my name miss spelt to VIKKI... and something about the way it looked appealed to me, so I started to use it.

Three: My mother hated the way I spelt my name insisting that my name was spelt Vicki, until we were organising wills etc. and I discovered that she too changed the spelling of her name when she was 18 - she should be a Loris but she spells it Lauris after a book character.

Four: I've been told by a numerologist that I should revert back to my original spelling if I want to have a successful relationship. What does it say about me that I'd rather have my name spelt the way I want than a man!

Five: At work, in my department there are two Vicki's. The head of the department started referring to me as Vikki 2K from the beginning, and it has now spread across the organisation and is occasionally shortened to V2K.

Six: A former work colleague, who jokingly referred to me as Victoria repeatedly, when I protested, started calling me Queensland instead (Victoria is a state in Australia, as is Queensland - get it!). Mind you, this is the same man, that called Romy, 'where for art thou' - certainly confusing visitors by regularly bursting into the office saying 'Queensland, where is where for art thou?' - to which I'd calmly reply - 'at the bank'

Seven: Boomerang Boy rarely called me by name, to the point that I used to often feel I could have been anyone to him. He used to say that saying my name out loud made him feel funny, but couldn't explain why. I stopped using his name in retaliation and he didn't notice....

Eight: So I notice when men freely use my name, it makes me trust them... when maybe sometimes I shouldn't...

Nine: Having a name starting with V often means you get picked last. And thinking about hosting a party with a theme come as something that starts with the first letter of your name can be restrictive: - vase, violin, vamp, vixen, vampire - and always some wag who suggests you come as a vibrat0r.

Ten: It's surprising the way people can miss spell my name - I've had Viki, Vickie, Vicky and my personal favourite when you spell it and say it's a double K - Vickkie - they're just hedging their bets.

Eleven: And people have trouble pronouncing it too... kids kind of lisp it out ... giving it a 'w' sound .... wicki... my cousin used to call me wicki or wicks and then his dad started calling me wickers. And a workmate used to call me 'picki' - completely unable to pronounce the 'v' regardless of coaching.

Twelve: My mother wanted to call me Melissa, cause she liked it. At the time, 1961, it wasn't a particularly popular name, but became much more popular later, one of my closest friends is a Melissa as is my god-sister. My Dad wanted to call me Gwenda or Judith, after old girlfriends.

Thirteen: So were did Vicki come from? I was named after the lawn mower...arguing over a girls name almost up to my birth, my Dad was mowing the lawn and said to my Mum, what do you think of Vicki? She liked it, and I'm thankful, but even more thankful that the lawnmower was a Victa and not a Black and Decker!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

26 comments:

Dane Bramage said...

Great list about you names. There was a little confusion about my middle name because Dad was drunk at the time he filled out the birth certificate. BTW you are actually the second Frou Frou I know. How weird is that?
Thanks for stopping by my Thursday 13 #41 - The De-motivational Posters edition!

Rhian said...

hmmm - i think i'll start calling you QueenV. And talk about being on the same brain wave wenchly - i just rewrote the passage in the my story earlier this week where a character talks about the power of names, and says the more names she has, the more power she has.

Elle Fredrix said...

Number 7. Hmmm. I have to say I've never heard of anyone not wanting to say a name becuase it made them feel funny. I mean, it's not like your name is Rumpelstiltskin, or something equally bazaar.

Miss Frou Frou said...

Dane - my Mum mispelt my brother's name Micheal instead of Michael on his birth certificate, which is how he continues to spell his name and then my sister perpetuated the mistake, by giving her youngest son the same incorrect spelling for his middle name!

Rhi - the Queen Victoria hospital here in Melbourne was were I was born! Built by the women of Victoria as the first women's only hospital in the country, by women donating pennies at the turn of the last century. The hospital has been gone for years, it now has a monstrous retail/apartment/office complex called QV on it... though part of the original hospital building is preserved and is still a Women's Centre - a condition of the redevelopment. A guy I used to work with when I was Front Office Manager of a hotel used to refer to me as Victoria Reginas, Front Office Mole!

And I have verbal diahorrea today...

Elle - he was a strange boy in lots and lots of ways, this is only the least of them! In the end, he knew how much it hurt me not to be acknowledged, so he did it on purpose I think. As Rhi says, names have power...

Anonymous said...

This is a fun list. Creative and imaginative. You really made me smile. I love "Boomergang Boy." It would make a great name for a memorable character. You should have called him that.

Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Great list.

My mom changed her name from Naomi to Nickie. I could always tell my grandma was mad at her when she used mom's given name.

Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

Loved this insightful list about your name. I like the Vikki spelling and I love your Mis Frou Frou title as well. ;-)

Lori said...

Very cool:)

RED GARNIER said...

Love your name and love your title. No need to change it for a silly number. . . men can always just go ahead and call you sweetheart. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hee, cool list! And laughing about being named after the lawn mower -- that's cute. :-D

Happy TT, and thanks for visiting my blog!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I love your list. I've always had a fascination for names and I do numerology myself. The energy from my maiden name was heavily 'eleven', which you have a lot of with two 'k's in Vikki. Not to mention the 'twenty-two' from 'v'. Part of my decision to take on my husband's last name was the fact that it would give me a calmer whole name vibration. And I have to say it worked like a charm. When you're ready for a relationship, you may find yourself unconsciously altering the spelling of your name. Or as you say, relationships might be on a permanent pass basis for you. The wonders of singlehood are legion!

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I don't think I have half so many interesting things to say about my name...

And I particularly like #4--ha!

Anonymous said...

You have my sister's name! I don't think I've met anyone else who spells it the same as she does.

My middle name was accidentally spelled in the boy way on my birth certificate. And I have a very gender-neutral first name and a boyish nickname, so yeah.

Tink said...

Over here frou-frou is a delicious sort of cookie!
Thanks for visiting my food TT.

Miss Frou Frou said...

Gabriella - Boomerang Boy was memorable, but not always in a good way!

Journeywoman - thanks for stopping by.. I loved your site BTW

Daisy - Part of me thinks it's time to let go of Miss Frou Frou - she was the girl who did madcap things like dress as Miss Piggy for her 40th birthday complete with tiara, pig ears and featherboa

Thanks Lori

Red - prefer hoochie mama myself, lol

Thomma - yes that story guaranteed to shut up the naysers who insist that Vikki is not a proper name

Julia - I think changing the spelling of my name when I did helped me to grow and define who I was... going back to the original spelling would feel like a huge stepback

Alyssa - thanks for stopping by

Dew - it always throws me to find someone with the same spelling, there aren't too many of us around, I think

Tink - that's me - choc full of sugar and calories, but yummy!

Anonymous said...

Came here from someone else's blog because I had to see who Frou Frou was...glad I did. My name's Melissa, but my mother found it on a shampoo bottle.

Rhian said...

But QueenieV, FrouFrou-DARLING!! I love the madcap part of you!!! I swear if you try to let that part of yourself go, i will hunt you down and duct tape a tiara to your head.

Jennifer Shirk said...

LOL! I WAS wondering about your name.

And I think it's weird that people can't spell MY name. Sometimes it's with 1 "n", sometimes with a "G" instead of a "J". Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

Named after a lawnmower? LOL. I feel so much better about the source of my name now - I was named after a nun ;)

Miss Frou Frou said...

Melissa - your how you got your name story is as cool as mine! Actually would love to write a book about names, not what they mean, but why people chose them, and the funny anecdotes about them

Rhian - a duct-taped tiara - that'll give me street cred! Can't be any worse than wearing a multicoloured crocheted teacosy on my head - with pigtails pulled out either end ... I don't play silly anywhere near enough these days

Jennifer - I personally know a Jenifer, a Jeni, and a Jennie!

Karina said...

This is great! I absolutely cracked up at number 4, that is totally something I would do!

I also have a first name (Karina is my middle name) that is constantly and consistenly misspelled. It can be annoying, but mostly, it's just funny!

Miscellaneous-Mum said...

a lawnmower, eh? How Aussie can you get, lol

Anonymous said...

Delighted to learn the origins of Ms. Frou Frou and to learn your real name Ms. V2K.

Thanks for stopping by my website. I'm so glad the Rhian introduced us!

Looking forward to learning more from the adventures of Vikki.

Have a great weekend, XINE

Miss Frou Frou said...

Karina - everyone seems to like Number 4! What annoys me at work is that my email has my name, spelled correctly, twice! In my email address and in the signature at the bottom... and STILL I get people who are looking at my name in front of them on screen who misspell my name...geez...

Misc-mum - I know, a true blue, dinky-di Victa mower...

Xine... yes I am very glad for Rhian... for many things... including not feeling quite so much like a very alone little black duck... I have virtual sibs!

Rhian said...

quack.

Cinnamon Girl said...

Great TT. I like your site and linked ya on my blogroll. Your writing is fun to read.