Tuesday 8 May 2007

Flirting with disaster...

I am a flirt, apparently!

Well, at the most recent Groove Train Gang dinner I was told I was a flirt, and when I denied it and looked around for support the gang all just laughed and said pleeeze...

What?

And then they proceeded to reel off a list of names of people I flirted with... some I agreed with, some I didn't. But it worried me, did I flirt so much, was I indiscriminate?

And then last week in a discussion with my boss, I mentioned that conversation and she said 'you are such a flirt!' with much eye-rolling. WHAT!

Had to check if I was inappropriate, and she said, no not at all, but you do flirt with people. And then went on to say I flirt just as much with the girls as I do with the guys.... I am so confused!!!! And this is why...

Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.3.1)
Main Entry: flirt
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: tease
Synonyms: coquette, cruiser*, gold digger, heartbreaker, operator*, philanderer, player, seducer, siren, swinger, tease, trap, trifler, vamp, vixen, wanton, wolf*, wolverine

Main Entry: flirt
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: tease
Synonyms: banter, chat up, come hither*, come on*, coquet, dally, dilly-dally, disport, eyeball*, fool, gam*, gold dig, hit on*, lead on, linger with, lollygag, monkey with, ogle, philander, pick up*, pitch*, play, proposition, sport, string along, tease, toy, trifle, vamp, wanton, wink at*, wolf-whistle
* = informal or slang


The only words above that I'm prepared to confess to are the verbs, banter and play... I can do the banter thing very well, and I'm very playful. I like people, they interest me, and I play the clown very well, so I can usually get people laughing and talking, but this is not flirting! Is it?

I've never chatted anyone up in my life, and as for being a vamp or a vixen... geez... I wish... there's a reason I dropped out of tap class the year they decided to do the sexy routine to Shaggy's That Girl... I couldn't vamp to save my life!

Speaking to Cheesegirl last week I mentioned that I'd been thinking about this a lot, and she said, we weren't saying it was a bad thing. So why is this making me feel so uncomfortable? Maybe I'm just concerned that I appear foolish?

I can flirt, I have flirted, but usually with people that flirt back! And with people I have absolutely no interest in... I am definitely not good at flirting with people that I am genuinely interested in... shudder... I alternate between being gauche and tongue-tied and stupid, or rude and sarcastic.

This is such a puzzlement...

Seriously, does she look flirty? She had a tiara briefly and elbow length gloves, but I wasn't happy with the shoes...flatties looked silly, and the strappy stilettos are just not me...these are the closest I got to Mary-Jane's. Of course, there is no way anyone would ever see that much of my leggage (my word for leg cleavage)... I'm a floaty skirt to my ankles girl.

I found this on Christine's site, Chicken-Scratch

You can make one of your own by going here
Wonder if there's a Mr Potato Head version... that would be more me!

5 comments:

Trouble said...

I'm a complete and total flirt, and i have no intention of ever apologizing for it. Why should you?

Indiana said...

But isn't flirting a good thing....

Wylie Kinson said...

I, too, enjoy a round of witty banter. Could some misconstrue it as flirting? Perhaps, but only because they don't know my whacky sense of humor!
Keep your flirt on, girlfriend...

Miss Frou Frou said...

Trouble - not apologising for it, so much as completely unaware that I'm doing it!

Indy - of course, flirting is an excellent thing... but we're talking about my workplace, which is why I was concerned... there's a line, and I was worried that I'd crossed it. Actually made me wonder about asking some male friends if I'm so flirty, as I think they might have a different take on it

Wylie - I think that's the thing... I'm just sort of out there, and I do things like remember small details about people, it helps a lot actually in my work, as I'm seen as being approachable. It's the link between flirting and sex that has me worried!

Rhian said...

i tagged you with a meme on my blog darling! heh. Back later today to read your TT. Proactive any? Sheesh!